The day this essay will first post is Independence Day in America (where I live). I don’t come from a military family, although I did go through the application process to play basketball at West Point. I say this because while I respect the intended purpose of the 4th of July observations in the US, I want to extrapolate this to a topic I know a little more about.
Yep – burnout.
Today is less about convincing you that you are suffering from burnout and why that is harmful. I want to offer ways that you could slowly work towards independence from burnout starting today. Yes, today. This week. Soon, not someday.
Sustainable Productivity is based on three pillars – Health and Fitness, Mental Well-being and Environmental Surroundings. I want to offer a few ways you could explore finding independence from burnout. It is less that these are THE BEST ways to heal from and prevent burnout. Instead consider these options that might get you thinking about what appeals to you.
Health & Fitness
- Set a reminder on your phone to spend 2 minutes breathing deeply.
- Walk or sit outside for 10 minutes – even if it is not great weather.
- Visit a Farmer’s Market. Bonus points if you sample fruits and vegetables or purchase healthy foods.
- Hug someone for 20 seconds.
- Look at your work schedule for the coming week and move or cancel any appointments that overlap.
- Explore something creative – color, listen to music, watch a cooking show, or putter around the garden.
- Delete 5 pictures from your phone that you can easily say you don’t want (the blurry ones, duplicates, and 50 photos of your pre schoolers nostrils are good candidates).
- Take the donations bags to the donation site.
- Enjoy a decluttered space with no extra stimulation (TV, books, music, people).
If none of these ideas resonate with you, check out the No Burnout Bingo cards for more ideas. They are a free download that can help you find independence from burnout. Here is a sample. They also have blank cards that you can fill in ideas that are meaningful to you.
Sustainable You Reflections
I would love to hear or see what you put in your card or what small moves you can make today to free yourself from burnout. What better way to start the second half of 2023 than to take small action items to create a life you don’t need to numb out from!
Until next time remember to create productive results in a way that you can sustain and that work for you.