Coach Sue here for a pep talk to help you keep showing up for yourself. It can’t just be me hitting the dark, cold weather doldrums, right?
Things had really been cooking along with my writing for the last few months.
- I have been showing up regularly in weekly essays on my website,
- My book proposal is ready for an editor,
- A friend of mine started a weekly writing “support group,”
- A few more creative opportunities are in the works for later this month, and
- I found a writing group that meets monthly at my local library.
It felt like the universe was conspiring to support me as a writer and creative human. The wind was at my back – full steam ahead.
Then I turned the page of the calendar and it seemed like the wheels fell off the Writing Bus.
- The editor I had a get-to-know-you call with this morning no showed.
- I was the only person who showed up for the library group (which turned out to be for fiction writers anyway).
- The other editor I interviewed is out of my price range.
Pep Talk Section
The pep rally starts here.
I bring you all of this today as an example of life on life’s terms. While I don’t believe that we should always try to cram that square peg into a round hole, I do believe that what we want takes work, patience, and creative problem solving.
Maybe my message needs refining before getting to an editor. Perhaps giving feedback on other writers’ work is not where the universe wants me to focus right now. Am I not getting book traction because I am supposed to focus on a more verbal medium?
I don’t know.
As a revering control freak and people pleaser, it is REALLY hard to say that. I just don’t have an answer.
Sometimes Usually my time is not the universe’s time. I feel impatient that “it” (whatever “it” is) is taking months – this seems like forever in my 48 year old life. But in the scheme of the expansive universe over millennia of time, months is a drop in the bucket.
What I do know for sure is that creativity and sharing words in any format feels like the right thing for today. And science tells us repetition yields results. So I will keep showing up – and I hope you do too.
I will leave you with these poetic words that expresses my sentiment in 35 words when I it took me 10 times longer.
4 Immutable Laws of the Spirit
Whoever is present are the right people.
Whenever it begins is the right time.
Whatever happens is the only thing that could have happened.
When it’s over, it’s over.
— Harrison Owen —
Sustainable You Reflections
- What in your life feels like rolling a boulder uphill these days?
- Have you truly been showing up consistently related to this boulder? Is there a way you need to change how you are showing up – more attention, less control, different activities?
It might be hard to see where you need help with that boulder or how you can show up differently. Creative problem solving sometimes needs an accountability buddy. If you need help find me on social media or send me a message to Susan@SustainableSue.com. I would be glad to help you work on it!
Until next time –
Leave A Comment